The NWT is diverse in nature – and so are the artists that live here. Surrounded by the natural beauty of the land and rich culture and tradition of its people, artists of all kinds are inspired to create and share the story of their art.
The NWT Arts Program supports and promotes all art in the NWT, including:
- Contemporary Arts and Fine Crafts: Visual art that incorporates modern or current values into its creation.
- Film and Media Arts: Includes the creation of a motion product, computer and digital technologies, video art forms, audio-visual installations and performances, and the art of photography (digital and film).
- Literary Arts: Involves the creation of original or creative writing, which can include lyrics, manuscripts, musical scores, poetry, scripts and screenplays.
- Performing Arts: Includes music dance, theatre, spoken word and storytelling.
- Traditional Arts and Fine Crafts: Visual art that incorporates traditional knowledge and values into its creation.
GNWT Art Collection
The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has an extensive collection of traditional and contemporary visual art. These pieces have been collected through out the years from some of the most renowned artists of the territory.
Many of the works in this collection can be viewed by the general public in places such as the Legislative Assembly in Yellowknife and regional government offices across the territory. If you have any questions about the works you see in our collection please contact us.