You are here
Call for Enteries: University of Alberta Graduate
BETWEEN AMONG and AWAY: Call for Entries
University of Alberta Graduate Student Exhibition on April 22- 30, 2016
Submission Deadline Extended: February 01, 2016
What exists in the liminal spaces between binaries that describe notions of place? What knowledge is there to be found, created, activated, and felt in these interstices? How can artistic practice be an intervening force into climate, conflict, the economy, or human machinations that disrupt and irrupt into our sense of being and place?
For 192 hours at the end of April, 2016, the University of Alberta’s Art and Design Graduate Students’ Association (ADGSA) will be dis/locating itself into a 1228.5ft² gallery space as it grapples with these questions. They are seeking proposals for an interdisciplinary exhibition of emerging artists who will activate the gallery space and time, and ask what it means to be between among and away, through art, design, and research-creation practice.
The ADGSA welcomes submissions from all emerging artists. They encourage submissions from practicing visual artists, performance artists, and designers who interrogate notions of place and displacement, being and belonging, migration and stasis. They welcome in particular those submissions that challenge conventional understandings of what it means to be ‘here’ or ‘there’ or moving away/toward/ within/around. The ADGSA wants to see novel forms of representing, situating, and critically attending to these concerns.
Areas of interest may include:
· Migrating climate change
· Protest through occupation
· Finding/giving refuge
· Transcultural and trans-temporal notions of ‘home’
· Interior/exterior/micro/macro/outer space
· Being a human being
Possible forms of representation:
· Participatory and performance works
· All forms of 2D, 3D, and new media
· Socially-aware design
· Collaborative activities and workshops
· Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Proposal and artist statement (maximum 300 words combined)
· Curriculum vitae, including name, telephone number, and email
· A maximum of 5 images or up to 5 minutes of video
· 72 dpi, no more than 1000 pixels in the long dimension, JPEG or PNG format, maximum 1 MB
· videos must be viewable with Quicktime player, or viewable online via a direct link
· the filename of each image must adhere to the following convention: Lastname_Title_Medium_Dimensions_Year.JPEG
· Details about installation requirements
Please indicate if you would be interested in giving an artist talk or participating in a panel discussion during the exhibition.
All shipping fees will be paid by the artist. Work should arrive framed and/or accompanied by installation materials.